- Reach compact solutions that can be integrated in new or existing buildings of different types.
- Potential to reach similar system cost compared to other renewable energy systems in buildings, but with higher energy savings and a shorter PBP.
- Optimised system design and sizing for achieving a very high energy share up to 85% all over Europe.
- Validation of SolBio-Rev system (TRL5) at two different climatic conditions and preparation of its further development stages.
At components level
- Increase the heat transfer characteristics and compactness of the cascade chiller with heat pump, by developing an advanced adsorber HEX based on a patented direct crystallisation coating technique, and an integrated evaporator/condenser, for superior coupling of the chiller with the HP.
- Develop a reversible heat pump/ORC unit that shows high performance under both modes, with limited cost increase and a minimum footprint, with its refrigerant having perfect environmental properties.
- Develop a highly flexible solar thermal system by integrating a new generation of printed TEGs with low environmental impact, for heat and electricity production, and exploit all (wasted) heat sources.
- Develop the biomass boiler for CHP operation by supplying high-T heat to the ORC with an optimised internal HEX, combined with EGR for increased efficiency and reduced emissions.
At configuration level
- Develop the heat pump-based configuration that is at the core of the SolBio-Rev system with high flexibility for trigeneration production, and enhanced modularity and flexibility of operating mode.
- Experimentally investigate and optimise the integration of the cascade chiller with the reversible heat pump/ORC unit for trigeneration.
- Demonstrate a high compactness (30% lower volume) and a cost reduction of about 20-30%, compared to having separate components, while covering the same energy needs.
At control level
- Development of control unit to manage the system modes according to supply/demand balance.
- Optimisation of system operation by automatic switching of heat supply between the solar collectors, the heat pump and the biomass boiler.
- Option for integration to BEMS for overall facility management & energy demand optimisation.
- Enable services for: (1) preventive and restoring maintenance, (2) user-friendliness operation, (3) adjusting operation according to weather forecasts, and (4) remote operation and reporting.
At social level
- Examine social acceptance of the SolBio-Rev concept amongst key stakeholder groups.
- Identify opportunities and challenges for the uptake of SolBio-Rev amongst installers, users, policy makers.
- Provide insights into how SolBio-Rev can engage with end-user groups.